Planning to go to Medical School
Is there a doctor in the house?
Websites to explore:
- American Medical Student Association(AMSA)
- The Student Doctor Network
- Texas Medical Student Doctors Network
- The MDPhD...is it right for me?
- Health Care Jobs - which one is right for me?
- National Health Service Corps
- 31 Questions I Wish I Had Asked During My Medical School Interview (A link to a PDF document is present.)
- Mothers in Medicine
- Radio Rounds
- The MCAT collection of test prep video tutorials - Kahn Academy
- What's on the MCAT?
- Post-baccalaureate medical programs
Books ...yes, you should read all of them:
The House of God (a medical school classic!) - Samuel Shem
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman
Anatomy of an Illness - Norman Cousins
How Doctors Think - Jerome Groopman
Being Mortal and What Happens in the End - Atul Gawande
Better - Atul Gawande
Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracy Kidder
Another Day in the Frontal Lobe - Katrina Firlik
The Emperor of All Maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese, MD
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales - Oliver Sacks, MD
Scholarships for students interested in the health professions:
- Auxiliary to the National Medical Association
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, Inc.
- Jackie Robinson Foundation
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund
- National Association of Black Nurses
- American Indian College Fund
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Hispanic Women's Network of Texas
- National Hispanic Health Foundation
- National Medical Fellowships, Inc.